Exposing the LASIK Scam

One Surgeon at a Time
It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:47 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: I know your pain.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:17 am 

Broken Eyes wrote:
I struggle with how much information to give patients after they've had it, but I'm afraid if I downplay the problems, even just a little, that someone considering LASIK will be reading and think, "oh, it's not so bad". There's nothing I can do for a patient once he or she has had LASIK, so I focus on prevention.

An ounce of prevention is worth a ton of rehab.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:12 pm 

think what surgical eyes could have done if it had focused on prevention

Post subject: Prevention is the best intervention
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:38 pm 

Well, they didn't focus on prevention. I had a serious discussion with a friend about this issue. We decided we couldn't bear being 'body catchers'. Damaged patients keep rolling off the LASIK assembly line out of LASIK 'mills', and we wre not well-positioned to get messages out effectively to patients who were considering LASIK.

We want to shut off the assembly line that is producing visually impaired patients. Let's put a stop the LASIK tragedy through dissemination of information about the damage happening to patients who undergo LASIK eye surgery. Putting a contact lens on the damage doesn't always work, and a contact lens over LASIK damage is really just a bandage. It doesn't address underlying problems.

We have a sick LASIK industry, a sick FDA and some sick LASIK doctors who are all participating in a process that is costing millions some of their precious vision.

Any LASIK doctor who thinks this is overblown nonsense should run out and get him or herself an effective optical zone more than 2mm smaller than their scotopic pupils, make sure they have less than 300 microns under the bed and a bunch of striae nobody bothers to straighten out. I had such a surgery at Duke University Medical Center. I was still under the care of Duke surgeons when a 2nd opinion doctor documented the striae. If it's good enough for Duke surgeons at Duke Laser Vision Correction Center to practice this way, other surgeons should be willing to line up for similar treatment for their own eyes.

Any volunteers?