Exposing the LASIK Scam

One Surgeon at a Time
It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:09 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: hope it improves Diana
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:05 pm 

lasick wrote:
The huge amounts of money must be supressing all this from the main stream media,money is after all,the overriding priority today.

lasick, it goes beyond anything you'd imagine.

Doctors at the highest level of the industry have knowledge of damaged patients being harassed, abused and threatened by LASIK industry representatives. This is going on right now, today.

The truth about this industry will kill your spirit if you let it. It's the dirtiest thing I've ever seen or could have imagined.

Somebody has to take a stand, whatever the cost.

Someday, I believe God will show me why all of this had to happen. And He will make things right.

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:18 am 

I extend my condolences! Hopefully once wind gets out of this, if we spread the word and enough people believe it, lasik will become unpopular. I am doing my part to warn others about the risks of lasik as well as the greedy corrupt surgeons and lasik industry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:34 am 

be careful. sometimes the industry threatens to kill patients who speak out too much. money can make doctors do things you wouldnt think they would do but its a lot of money on the line with lasik

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:39 pm 

LasikTragedy wrote:
be careful. sometimes the industry threatens to kill patients who speak out too much. money can make doctors do things you wouldnt think they would do but its a lot of money on the line with lasik

I've heard rumors of threats on patients' lives. I also heard about a surgeon offering large sums of money to shut someone up. And I was told that industry leaders told an industry representative to "get" a certain patient.

After the things I've seen and experienced, no longer do I doubt that they would do anything, including threatening patients' lives, to keep all of this quiet. Just a few days ago I asked a patient who feels s/he is being followed, "Is it worth dying for?", and the answer was "Yes". Later I was telling another friend about this conversation and just burst into tears.

It reminds me of the Karen Silkwood story.

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:06 am 

sandy keller at lasikdisaster says she received a death threat right on her homepage. it is very real.

Post subject: LASIK damage has pushed many patients into a corner
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:32 am 

After a LASIK patient has lost everything (quality of life, job, marriage, vision, comfort) due to a LASIK disaster and is living on disability or unemployment ... this damaged patient is a person backed into a corner with nothing left to lose, willing to fight till the end.

LASIK surgeons manufacture new casualties every day - someone needs to shut off their assembly line. LASIK has disabled many and given them plenty of free time and nothing else to do but fight back.

Last edited by Eye on Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: I know your pain.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:36 am 

It has now been 6 weeks since my LASIK and I finally broke down and had to call my insurance to get a referral for a mental health clinician. I was referred to a psychiatrist so that I could be stabilized in order to function at a basic level. Never in my life have I ever resorted to medications or drugs of any kind to control anxiety or stress, but I?ve come to the point where I?m just overwhelmed ? not sleeping, no appetite, no interest in activities, etc.

I still practice meditation whenever I can and try to remain spiritual. It helps to constantly remind myself that I am only the witness and that I am not my body. As the witness, I try to see all that is happening to me as just an interesting phenomenon, but it?s difficult to remain in that state. I also try to visualize myself healthy, with perfect vision, and with no pain. Now that the surgery is over, it?s very important not to look back and think, ?what if.? I find that to be very destructive. It also doesn?t help to read all the negative posts in this and other discussion boards unless you have the strength to see past them. (I read a post in one forum stating that everyone who has had LASIK will eventually suffer from ectasia. Statements like this are not helpful and not accurate. It?s no different than the surgeon trying to convince people that LASIK is good for them.)

My journey is far from over and I hope that, when it is, the results are such that I can bring some hope to those in this forum who are suffering. We really do need some emotional uplifting here.

My advice (for what it?s worth) in dealing with the depression and anxiety is to try to stay active, constantly confide in others, ask those in this forum for their phone numbers and give them a call, take it easy with the drugs, watch all that is happening in a detached state and don?t let it take you over.

Post subject: Some truths that should be told are hard truths
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:33 pm 

marcalans,

It is terrific that you will be seeing a therapist. This can really help. Antianxiety and antidepressant medication can also really help.

As for negative posts... they are not negative if they are true. They are simply hard truth. If the really bad things aren't put out there to the point that they are widely available and it is unpleasant to read them, more innocent people like yourself will fall into the LASIK trap. Patients damaged by an elective laser eye surgery... this SHOULD make people uncomfortable.

Your DOCTOR should be VERY uncomfortable, and should be asked for a clear explanation of what is wrong with your vision.

People go through stages of grieving after a bad eye surgery... similar to the grief of the loss of a loved one. An essential part of recovery is understanding what happened to your eyes and why. Once you understand what happened with your vision during surgery, YOU are in charge and no one can ever BS you again.

It is absolutely true that most if not all RK patients have corneal stretching and thinning resulting in a hyperopic shift. Time will tell what happens to the corneas of LASIK patients as they age. Hopefully better corneal graft and transplant technology will be there for us when and if the time comes
that many of us are in need of it.

I have never read that everyone who has had LASIK will eventually have ectasia, but Charles Casebeer, one of the founders of LASIK whose company conducted the first clinical trial for the approval of LASIK did testify in a deposition under oath that all LASIK patients eyes are bulging.

This is an example of a truth a that has to get out to the public ear. None of us wants another person to go what we are going through after LASIK.

You still have lots of healing ahead at the 6 week point, and improvement in vision due to gradual reduction in corneal swelling and return of some corneal nerve function is likely. Most of us couldn't eat or sleep either when we were 6 weeks out...

Do send a personal message to anyone you want to talk to on the memberlist and ask for a call.

Wavefront retreatments are a hoax. Once you rip up a flap or remove the epithelium, the wavefront map is no longer applicable to that eye. No wonder so many patients are made worse by wavefront retreatments.

Post subject: I take patient calls 24/7
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:45 pm 

marcalans,

I take patient calls 24/7. My own phone buddy who helped me through my worst times was an inspiration to me and much will be required of me to pay this forward. :)

Your life may not be exactly the same after LASIK but it can be a good life. Learning how to adapt really helps you adjust.

Send me a private e-mail if you want to talk and I will send you my phone number.

Post subject: Re: Some truths that should be told are hard truths
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:07 pm 

Southeast wrote:
As for negative posts... they are not negative if they are true. They are simply hard truth. If the really bad things aren't put out there to the point that they are widely available and it is unpleasant to read them, more innocent people like yourself will fall into the LASIK trap. Patients damaged by an elective laser eye surgery... this SHOULD make people uncomfortable.

If I had heard of any hard truth from any R.K. patient or doctor in the past, I wouldn't be here today. Hard truths may be uncomfortable to know about but they are extremely important for prospective patients to make good decision.

Hard truths are also important for post-op patients who are looking for the best possible way to fix their damaged eyes.

Southeast wrote:
People go through stages of grieving after a bad eye surgery... similar to the grief of the loss of a loved one. An essential part of recovery is understanding what happened to your eyes and why. Once you understand what happened with your vision during surgery, YOU are in charge and no one can ever BS you again.

Well said.8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:47 am 

I wasn?t at all implying that hard and painful truths should not be posted. In fact, I commend all of you for your dedication, research, and willingness to help others. What I meant was that, after the damage is already done ? once someone makes the mistake of having LASIK and is in the initial stages of trying to heal and is dealing with severe depression ? it doesn?t help the body to fill the mind with horror stories and worse-case scenarios. This is, of course, assuming that there is a mind-body connection, which I happen to believe does exist. Those who have not had the procedure should read every horrific account made available because they do need to be scared, but those who have had a poor LASIK outcome and who already know, first hand, the nightmare involved, might want to be more selective about what they read so as not to compound the negative impact of depression and anxiety during the initial stages of healing because this can be truly disastrous to the psyche when one is already overwhelmed and vulnerable. Stay informed but devote some time to thinking positive about your healing.

Post subject: Re: I know your pain.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:01 pm 

marcalans wrote:
It also doesn?t help to read all the negative posts in this and other discussion boards unless you have the strength to see past them. (I read a post in one forum stating that everyone who has had LASIK will eventually suffer from ectasia. Statements like this are not helpful and not accurate. It?s no different than the surgeon trying to convince people that LASIK is good for them.)

When I was new, I first found the asklasikdocs bulletin board. I wasn't getting the truth that I needed. Then someone referred me to Surgical Eyes, and I was overwhelmed and rejected the truth at first. I left Surgical Eyes for awhile because I wasn't ready for that much truth! But I came back after getting tired of the usual "give it some time" and a pat on the head at asklasikdocs. I struggle with how much information to give patients after they've had it, but I'm afraid if I downplay the problems, even just a little, that someone considering LASIK will be reading and think, "oh, it's not so bad". There's nothing I can do for a patient once he or she has had LASIK, so I focus on prevention.

I don't recall anyone here saying that everyone will get ectasia. If you point that out to me I'll post something to set the record straight. But you will see posts, medical studies, that prove that all eyes will experience a forward shift of the posterior cornea after LASIK. A forward shift is not ectasia unless it continues to progress. Fortunately that only happens in a small percentage of cases. But it can happen weeks, months, or years later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:24 pm 

being in touch with reality is one indication of mental health. the reality of lasik is that ophthalmologists weren't making money anymore when the government decided to drop their reimbursements for cataract surgery. so they needed money to continue the lifestyle they'd been living. that's where lasik came from. the docs lied to the fda about their research, they lied to patients about risk, and they lied and continue to lie to their victims about the severity of complications.

if you want to be in touch with reality, that's it. if that's your definition of mental health, welcome to the world of the healthy. is it depressing? of course it is. but that's what happened.

there are medical coverups all over, it's not just lasik. read the news. google fda and vioxx. look up the name of the last fda chief. people die everyday because american medicine wants prefers dollars to lives.

most people cant take the scope of the evil thats revealed by lasik.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:27 pm 

if you are a sexual abuse victim, your recovery starts when the abuser is arrested and the abuse stops.

if you are a medical abuse victim, you can't recover, because the doctors are always ready to hide behind their white coats and lie lie lie lie lie lie lie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:17 pm 

I feel bad for you, marcalans. This is a tough place. We are a tough crowd.

I remember being so naive before LASIK. I would have never believed the things that I know to be the truth now. LasikTragedy is correct. This industry is based in deception. It started with lies and it thrives on the lies. I never knew how dishonest and greedy doctors can be. I thought doctors were good, caring people who chose this profession so they could help people. I think LASIK doctors sold out. My eyes were opened (pardon the pun) when I began reading the FDA transcripts, and it all became more clear as I started reading the medical literature. What stunned me was how different what they were saying in FDA meetings and in medical journals was from what they were telling patients. I realized how much they knew, but were keeping it hidden. The truth is there, but you have to know where to find it. Most patients don't have a clue where to find it.

I had to see it with my own eyes to believe it.

Sometimes I wonder if I'd be happier had I never learned the truth. They say that knowledge is the booby prize of life. Regarding LASIK, that's so true.