Exposing the LASIK Scam

One Surgeon at a Time
It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:08 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Applying for Disability
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:49 pm 
 E-mail  Profile

I am in the process of applying for disability and here is the "objective" and "independent" website of the doctor that social security is sending me to, to evaluate my case...

http://www.rittenhouseeye.com/services/

Unbelievable world we live in, unbelievable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:57 am 

... I think Shakespeare was right. All the world's a stage.

I'm just not sure if we're living in a tragedy, or a comedy yet ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:54 pm 

Reminds me of The Far Side.

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato

Post subject: Re: Applying for Disability
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:45 pm 

APizzo667 wrote:
I am in the process of applying for disability and here is the "objective" and "independent" website of the doctor that social security is sending me to, to evaluate my case...

http://www.rittenhouseeye.com/services/

Unbelievable world we live in, unbelievable.

APizzo667, based on your link, it appears that the doctor that social security is sending you to is affiliated with TLC.

The stock value of TLC is continuously sliding downward the past few years. http://stocks.us.reuters.com/stocks/ove ... ymbol=TLCV

Stock value goes up and down. A good company with good product will thrive in the long run. A bad company with flawed product will go down once the hype is gone. LASIK is a flawed product and the stock reflects it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:26 am 

How much money does SS give you for being broken?

Not much, I'm sure, but... any is better'n none!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:02 pm 
 E-mail  Profile

I was lucky in a way...

I worked full time since I was 12, I used to be a pastry chef since I was a little kid. Then during college I worked full time as a public auditor / accountant and part time at a gym.

So I paid into social security for someone my age pretty heavily. I was 20 when I had the surgery and 21 when I stopped working for good. Now that I am 23, I am applying SSD, which is based on 5 of the last 10 years of work. If you worked for 20 quarters of the past 40, you can apply for SSD. With SSD you can get medicare after one year of your disability date or 5 months if your disability beyond one year ago (like mine did). You can apply for SSD disability and still work and make up to about 17,000 dollars per year pre-tax (don't quote me on that). I would get around $900 a month if approved for disability. Only 30% of people who apply for disability on the first try get it.

If you have not worked at all or much you can apply for SSI disability but that will give you only $550 a month, and for every 2 dollars you earn, your SSI monthly amount goes down by 1 dollar. This does not happen with SSD disabilty.

Lemme know if you have any more questions on disability or chapter 7 bankruptcy (if I get disability, I will try to declare bankruptcy to hopefully get rid of my student loans, but with the new law that took effect recently, student loans are nearly impossible to get rid of, unless you can prove paying your loans off will create "undue hardship" - and make sure that no one cosigned your loans as well!)

I think if alot of people from lasik started showing up on disability, that would sure send a message.

All post lasik patients on here could potentially apply for disability if they are not working or cannot work in the same line of work as they previously did. Social security calls it applying for disability for "blindness" but that is just because disability calls its "low vision" provision "blindness" - so don't get intimidated by that word.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:06 pm 
 E-mail  Profile

After meeting with a lawyer today, it seems disabilty for low vision solely goes by the Schellen Chart, however its spelled.

I believe I may have to forgot about disability. I will keep you posted.

Very sad day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:55 pm 

APizzo667 wrote:
After meeting with a lawyer today, it seems disabilty for low vision solely goes by the Schellen Chart, however its spelled.

I believe I may have to forgot about disability. I will keep you posted.

Very sad day.

Anthony, do they not recognize "irregular astigmatism"? That's what you have. Insurance companies recognize irregular astigmatism.

It's ridiculous that visual disability is determined by Snellen acuity. A LASIK patient can have 20/20 Snellen acuity in normal room illumination but be severely visually disabled in dim light. This iatrogenic disease is poorly understood. The medical field of ophthalmology doesn't want it to be understood or recognized. This is a sick world we live in where doctors can lure patients into a harmful procedure for money, then deny the problems exist.

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:32 am 
 E-mail  Profile

The craziest part is that I will get turned down for disability. However, I could have appealed the case.

On the appeal, the lawyer said that I could have EASILY gotten disability for depression and anxiety since I take some anti-anxiety medicine and I have seen a therapist for at least a year since my surgery (It would have been a shoe in if I was hospitalized). However, what makes this appeal benefits worthless is that since I have not taken anti-DEPRESSION medicine because I cannot (MYDRASIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) that the disability guidelines allow them (Uncle Sam) to deny me since I am not technically on anti-depression medicine.

Anyone seen my cross and crown of thorns?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:23 am 

APizzo667 wrote:

... so we are screwed, then ...

I talked to a lawyer to sue the surgeon, and he threw me out for the same reason.

No lawsuits, no social security, then...

.. and people wonder why so many just want to die. We are nothing more than drains on society.

... actually, I shouldn't apply the brush so broadly.

... I am, at least.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:31 pm 
 E-mail  Profile

The rule for disability for non-blindness cases is that if you can no longer do the type of work you did before, than you are eligble for disability. For example, if you were a carpenter and you hurt your back real bad, and you could no longer do your old line of work, you are eligible for disability.

However, for "blindness" or "low-vision" if you were like me, an accountant, and can no longer do what you once did, then Uncle Sam can give you any job he thinks you can do. If he thinks you would be good working as a doorman, burger-flipper, cashier, ANYTHING, than you INELIGIBLE.

If applying for disability, go the DEPRESSION AND ANXIETY route, don't make the same mistake I did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:33 pm 
 E-mail  Profile

Sorry for posting about disability on a lasik forum, but hopefully this thread can help other post-surgecial people who deserve disability.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:02 pm 

APizzo667 wrote:
Sorry for posting about disability on a lasik forum, but hopefully this thread can help other post-surgecial people who deserve disability.

Don't apologize dude, your posts are actually very informative!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:55 pm 

This LASIK forum is a great place to post about disability. I'm sure lots of people that come here find this topic very useful!

I'm sorry to hear that you're having a hard time with this. Can you maybe apply again and try going with depression and anxiety instead of blindnesss or low-vision?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:27 pm 
 E-mail  Profile

1. Went to welfare yesterday, denied any benefits. I only went there for healthcare coverage (not for money / stamps). I don't know why, but I think it is because I live at home.

2. Denied free legal advice (from Philadelphia Free Legal Services) since I live at home as well. Since my father makes more than 40,000 but than 50,000 a year, with a househeld of 5, it seems I am too well to do for welfare (healthcare) or free legal advice.

3. I have a meeting with a lasik surgeon this week so he can evaluate my eyes. It is on Thursday and will let you all know how it goes. He is evaluating my eyes for disability.

On a positive note, if I do get disability, my students loans can be discharged with a simple form, no bankruptcy, no lawyers, no nothing, discharged plain and simple!

However, if I get disability, it's game time. I've got the lawyer on speed dial waiting for my call. Are you reading Dr. Aronsky?