Exposing the LASIK Scam

One Surgeon at a Time
It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 9:29 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: My day at the Optometrist
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:43 am 
 E-mail  Profile

Today I went to my optometrist. This optometry office has been around for over 50 years. My grandparents starting going to the orginal doctor when it first opened. Around 20 years ago, a new doctor, Dr. Scott Page, took over the office. My whole family went to him: myself, my dad, my mother, my two brothers, my aunt, her daughter, her husband, my cousins (basically my massive extended Italian family!).

He was always the best doctor a patient could ask for. He was patient, calm, answers all your questions, fitted your glasses just right - and if you did not like your glasses even after he would cut you the lenses, he would make you a new pair. A great guy.

Ever since my laser eye surgery about 3.5 to 4 years ago, I saw Dr. Page only twice and this was just for regular check ups for macular degeneration (it runs in the family). But he would always ask my family members who went to him how I was doing, how my eyes were, and he seemed generally concerned.

About 3 years ago, Dr. Page started referring patients to Kremer Laser Eye Centers, were I had my surgery. Now... Dr. Page never believed in laser eye surgery. He never said anything against it, but said he would never have it done. This was three years ago, before Kremer stepped in.

Today I went to his office to ask him about low vision disability. I wanted to go over my vision problems, ask if he could start prescriping me alphagan P (just for emergencies), but most importantly, I wanted to show him my medical records and the damage done to my eyes. I did not want him to make a judgement call on Kremer - I just wanted him to document that my vision was worthless based off of the optical zone given and my scoptic pupil size.

HE WANTED NO PART OF IT. This once calm man now was in the back pocket of Kremer Laser Eye Centers. He did not want to dicuss my eye sight, would not write an Rx for alphagan, referred me back to Kremer for any punctial plugs or restatis (yea, let them touch my eyes again!!). My mother and I walked out of there in tears (This scene is repeated at nearly every eye doctors office I visit). Dr. Scott Page sold his soul. I have know this man for over 20 years, and in just 3 years, he sold his soul to the devil. He must be making tons in referral fees. It broke my heart.

It's funny because I was going to reccomend him on this site as a good doctor, as someone who cares, but I am happy I did not.

Before leaving, I was going to really get myself in trouble, but my mother and luckily my psycharist (who works down the hall from him) were able to drag me out.

I did fax Dr. Page a letter letting him know how he sold his soul and lost his integrity.

But the part that got me, after crying all damn night, is that my mom came into my room tonight, woke me up, and told me something. She said, "Dr. Page looked ashamed today, he didn't look you into the eyes either."

My visit to the doctors office today was free. But at what cost to others? He keeps on referring. This should be stopped. Dr. Page was such a trusted doctor. If he had told me before today that sticking a fork in my eyes would help me see better, well, I would have done it.

Just a little story, that optometrists are an enemy now, and I don't know if there are any left that don't do laser eye referrals!!!!!!!

Post subject: not the exception but the rule
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:13 pm 

First of all,I'm so sorry they lied to you and hurt you Anthony. This seems to have become common practice.
I have been to two major universities,4 opthomologists,and 10 or more optometrists with my problems which are extensive. It's like being victimized over and over again. They will not enter anything incriminating on a medical report no matter how objective the findings.
I'm sorry to say your experience has become the rule and not the exception.
I used to trust doctors but that got me in BIG trouble with lasik,they only care about the money and informed consent is a joke. If you were really informed,noone would do it.
The ads are everywhere and there is one on TV here recently advertizing even better vision than before with your glasses,again. I don't know why they are getting away with outright lies,but it is very distressing.
I hope you find relief of some kind and that these surgeries may be stopped and these "doctors" exposed for what they are.
take care my friend

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:34 pm 

Sounds like a jerk...sounds pretty standard now-a-days...sorry you have to deal with such *ssholes!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:59 pm 

I thought they made Lasik Plus back off the outright lies a little bit but this ad is for Midwest Eye Center. They are still advertizing this way.
http://www.midwesteyecenter.com/lasik-e ... i-ohio.php
This is the guy.

Post subject: Sleazy ads?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:08 pm 

Quote:
The potential to see even better than you did with glasses or contact lenses has never been greater

Actually the potential to see better after surgery than you did with glasses or contacts has always been extremely low and hasn't really improved... so the statement that it has never been greater may be misleading but kinda true.

My potential to father children has also never been greater. Actually it has never existed, I'm female. Catch my drift?

Quote:
and the risk of complications has never been smaller.

I don't know about this one... seems these guys are hurting for patients to slice and burn and are becoming sloppy with the screening. Show me some stats. Oooops! There is no reliable monitoring of complications so that's impossible!

Quote:
The advanced IntraLase technology has given many patients more confidence when considering laser vision correction.

Whether or not this confidence is misplaced is the question. I think it is. Intralase causes more tissue damage in the interface wound than a microkeratome blade - and the damaged interface will become a sealed cesspool as the flap edges seal. Patients who have intralase may lose keratocytes at an even higher rate than patients who had LASIK with a microkeratome blade cut flap.

Post subject: Re: My day at the Optometrist
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:07 pm 

APizzo667 wrote:
Just a little story, that optometrists are an enemy now, and I don't know if there are any left that don't do laser eye referrals!!!!!!!

You can order prescription eyeglasses online really cheap nowadays. All my prescription eyeglasses are ordered online and each pair costs less than $30 on average. The qualities of the lenses are fine. My main concern is to get the right frame that fits. Usually it'll take 2 weeks to get your eyeglasses. Customer service is pretty much zero. This link has some info about ordering online and comments from customers. http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread ... eyeglasses
I have no financial interest with the site whatsoever.

I think one can order contact lenses really cheap online provided you don't have abnormal corneas, like the ones created by refractive surgery.

With the profit margin of eyeglasses and contact lenses shrinking, I am afraid more and more ODs will join the dark side. Money is the source of all evil.