Exposing the LASIK Scam

One Surgeon at a Time
It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:20 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Need help in finding the right doctor
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:59 pm 

I had lasik a couple of months ago. Since then the swelling around my eyes has not gone down. Of course the eye doctor attributes it to alergy eye. Changed eye drops several times. I have other problems but I am mostly upset that the bags under my eyes will not go away. I hate looking at myself in the mirror. Plus I am afraid that there is permanent damage to the skin under my eyes from this.
Of course even though I did not have this before the surgery the lasik doctor talks as if this problem is completely unrelated to the surgery.
I am also not happy with my vision although they say it is 20/25. Yes it is much better than before lasik but not as good as it was with glasses, especially the far vision. Lots of focusing problems even close up.

In any case I need to find the right doctor who will be sypathetic to my concernes and help me. I guess sypathetic and doctor probably shouldn't be used in the same sentance. I don't have time or money to go to several doctors before finding the right one and have tried several searches on the internet without finding any who advertise that they help people after lasik. Seems like there must be some out there who would either like the money they can get, or have some genuine concern and want to help?

Post subject: I feel your pain
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:43 pm 

I also had LASEK done about 2 months ago and I have notice severe bags under my eyes as well. This is not to allergies clearly b/c you didn't have them Pre-LASIK did you. I am a physician myself and I was lied to as well so they don't take any preference on who they screw. I know that my bags under my eyes are not due to allergies. Allergies to WHAT? I don't know that this will be permanant for you although others on this forum have permanent bags under their eyes since LASIK and complain of the racoon face. I have found that taking showers and washing my hair gives me a temporary relief of the strain on my eyes. Continue to use your wetting drops to lubricate your eyes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:59 pm 

Doctor over here as well. I don't understand these people either....

For dryness, I find that drinking a lot of water per day, in addition to using Bausch and Lomb Dry eye Rejuvination works fairly well for me. These drops appear to be less viscus than most.
http://www.bausch.com/en_US/consumer/vi ... e_rej.aspx[quote]

Anyone else find anything that works well?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:15 am 

I also have bags under my eyes that I didn't have before LASIK. And my eyelashes have slowly thinned and shortened. I used to have thick, long eye lashes before LASIK -- now they're very thin and short. I'd be very surprised to find a doctor who links this to LASIK, but I've heard this from several LASIK patients over the years. Also, when people meet me now for the first time, they think I've been crying because my eyes are so red. I figure the redness is due to my eyes being bone dry -- always burning and irritated.

Not to mention that my vision is total garbage. :roll:

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:50 am 

There are some Ophthalmologist out there who will likely give an honest assessment regarding LASIK complications/issues. Tell us where you are located and we can see if we know of a reputable MD in your area.

Post subject: Where I am located
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:20 am 

I am in Orange County California. That is south of Los Angelas and north of San Diego.
It is interesting that everyone I met that had this surgery told me it was the best thing they ever did. My roomate had it done and told me she knows several people and has asked arround. They also told her that no one they know has had the problems I am having. I even chose the doctor based on the fact that I knew people that had gone through him.
It seems like they should have tested me for sensitivity to the eye drops before the surgery? I told them I had alergies. My alergies rarely effected my eyes before and when they did quickly healed when the source of the reaction was removed. I had eye strain before and told them about this and all symtoms. I suspect now that I know more that I may have had a little dry eye before. I had never used eye drops and just rested my eyes. I thought it was because my glasses were not correcting my vision enough. I would think that a responsible doctor would suggest trying eye drops for the eye strain before letting me go through the surgery. I would have tried it.

I drink a whole gallon of water every day now. I also take handfuls of Perilla oil capsuls, flaxseed oil and fish oil. These things only seem to keep the dry eye from becoming unbearable. I wasn't doing any of this before. I got the warning about dry eye before my surgery, but thought it was a minor thing easily corrected. I thought I might have to drink a little more water and use eye drops on occasion. I had no idea that taking care of my eyes would become a constant regimen. The doctors I went to have been doing this for several years. I can't believe that in all that time they haven't begun to recognize the patients that might not do so well after surgery. They are also very patronizing and short with me explaining NOTHING.

Post subject: Eyelashes
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:51 pm 

Elvira also remarked that she had problems with her eyelashes falling out after LASIK.

When you have corneal refractive surgery there is much stretching of the eyelid, damage from the suction ring and from the microkeratome and also from the burning of tissue by the laser. All this dead and damaged tissue contributes to local inflammation. Since corneal nerves are damaged, it is harder to keep your eyes properly clean and wet.

Good Omega-3 supplements like fish oil (from small fresh-caught fish in cold water regions) and also antioxidant supplements (I take Liquemax from Sam's or Costco) can help. Drinking more water helps, of course.

Have you tried cold or warm compresses to see if you benefit from either of these?

If you can tell us the nearest city you would like to drive to for a 2nd opinion we can contact a referral source and try to find you one who won't lie to you.

When you have LASIK it can really throw off your equilibrium - it can unmask underlying convergence problems and make it difficult to focus. It causes dry eye.

Patients who have visual quality equal or better than glasses or contacts before LASIK in both eyes are in the minority.

LASIK always damages corneal nerves, and the LASIK flap never heals.

You are still early in your recovery, and time can help with your focusing/convergence issues and with things like swelling.

You may consider seeing an Optometrist and asking for a current glasses prescription. If glasses could help you see better now with less eye strain they could be a blessing.

You may want to send your friends a copy of The LASIK Report. It is available on this website, and also at http://www.thelasikreport.com .

Hang in there, LASIK problems are always the worst at the beginning.

Post subject: My location
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:23 am 

I live in Orange County California. This erea is one city connected to city connected to city connected to city. All within a 30 minute drive. I could list sevral of them.... Irvine, Santa Ana, Newport Beach, Garden Grove, Fountain Valley, Huunnington Beach, Anaheim, and even Long Beach are all within the 30 minute drive. Does that help?

Thanks. It wasn't me that mentioned eyelashes. Mine have always been short. Haven't noticed any change yet.