Exposing the LASIK Scam

One Surgeon at a Time
It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:21 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: LASIK can be a major pain in the eye
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:31 am 

I am 14 months post-LASIK and I continue to suffer from life-altering complications that I was totally unprepared for.

I had Intralase LASIK done at the Duke University Eye Center. Since having LASIK, I have suffered from severe dry eyes that for about 8 months caused intense, unremitting eye pain and in the last 7 months, I have experienced chronic eye, face, and head pain. I also experience very noticeable night glare issues.

Prior to LASIK, I was happy and healthy with no need for any medication. My eyes never gave me problems with the exception of needing glasses or contact lenses. My corrective lenses gave me crisp, clear vision.

Since LASIK I have seen more MD?s than I did in my cumulative life prior to LASIK. I have seen several cornea MD's, a neuro-ophthalmologist, a glaucoma/retina MD, a neurologist, an acupuncturist, and a chiropractor. I have come to realize that MD?s are not equipped to treat many post-LASIK complications including those related to eye/head/face pain.

I wear moisture chamber goggles for about 70% of my waking hours to keep what little moisture I have on my eyes from evaporating. I also take two prescription pain relievers to relieve my neuralgia pain. The pain relievers help my head pain to a certain degree, but they do little for my chronic eye and cheek/upper tooth pain.

Hopefully folks who are considering LASIK will realize that LASIK truly has LOTS of complications and the LASIK MD?s are NOT equipped to fix many of them. My quality of life since LASIK has been poor to say the least. I have missed much of the last 14 months of my life due to the constant, and at times frequently debilitating pain that I have had to deal with.

To think that I have experienced chronic, debilitating pain because of LASIK is sickening. IMHO, the fact that LASIK MD?s have carried on with this ELECTIVE surgery and STILL do not properly inform patients of the risks after realizing the damage that it can create makes LASIK MD?s rank really, really low in this society.

Just so that I am clear, I teach my kids and I try to live by the same rule that I/we should not hate people or in this case LASIK MD?s. Hate does little good and usually only harms ones personal psyche. However, what I do have is contempt for LASIK MD?s because I have come to learn that they knowingly cause significant life-altering damage to a % of their patient?s solely to enrich themselves with no real remorse or regard for the lives they have shattered. Perhaps some view it as semantics, but it helps me personally to be mindful not to cross the line from contempt to hate.

For those considering LASIK, my best advice is to use that money to get some nice glasses and prescription sunglasses. If you think that you will save money with LASIK by not having to buy glasses, just know that many post-LASIK dry eye sufferers spend over $100 per month on lubricating drops and the drops only provide very temporary relief. Note that dry eye is a ?common? LASIK side-effect. Also, if you get other side effects/complications like visual distortions or disorders, you can end up spending an incredible amount of time and money for commonly very sub-optimal results. Your vision can be ruined. Are you willing to take a chance on a very flawed procedure that can induce poor/distorted vision, dry eyes, chronic pain, etc.?

In summary, don?t believe the LASIK statistics, don?t expect your LASIK MD to provide you with proper informed consent, and most importantly DON?T GET LASIK.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:22 pm 

Agreed... I am informing all of my patients that have asked me about how mine went and telling them exactly how it went and that I do not recommend it. HINDSIGHT is 20/20, but I think that even if you get a good result the risk of getting a bad one is really not worth taking. My advice is the same, JUST KEEP YOUR GLASSES.

Post subject: Also damaged at Duke University LASIK center
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:43 pm 

Hi Eye Pain. Welcome to the flap, but very sorry about the circumstances that brought you here!

It is dismaying that some patients still feel that they are 'safe' having LASIK surgery at a more 'reputable' or higher priced LASIK center. The fact that both of us had horrible LASIK outcomes at Duke University Eye Center says a lot - even a major univesity medical center is dangerous for LASIK.

A 'reputable LASIK center' is clearly an oxymoron as LASIK is inherently harmful and no reputable surgeon or surgical center would allow it.

It is good to know that damaged patients and some physicians are speaking out about this flawed procedure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:53 pm 

junekat wrote:
HINDSIGHT is 20/20, but I think that even if you get a good result the risk of getting a bad one is really not worth taking.

*Sigh*... with LASIK there is no such thing as a "good result", unless you are only measuring uncorrected visual acuity. Everything else about LASIK is bad news -- permanent damage to the corneal nerves which play a crucial role in tear production, permanent weakening of the biomechanical integrity of the cornea (the cornea can begin to bulge weeks, months, or years later, possibly leading to a corneal transplant), the flap never heals and can be accidentally dislodged for the rest of a patient's life, LASIK patients lose visual *quality* permanently (higher order aberrations increase) and experience a loss of contrast sensitivity, LASIK patients IOP is not accurately measured after LASIK which puts patients at risk of undiagnosed glaucoma, the altered corneal surface leads to an inaccurate measurement of the IOL power for cataract surgery... all of this is covered in The LASIK Report.

www.thelasikreport.com

Did you read it?

I initially had a so-called "good result"... Initially I could see 20/20 OU on the eye chart without glasses in bright light. Am I a success? I am in constant pain and visually disabled. Ironically, it's the refractive error that concerns me the least now. I am 100% dependent on glasses and hard contacts lenses and reading glasses. My refractive error fluctuates around -1.50 to -2.00 with astigmatism in both eyes. I would give anything to have my old -4.25 vision back (no astigmatism) without the eye pain and visual distortions.

There is no such thing as a "good result". There are "good refractive results". But it's like saying the surgery was a success but the patient died.

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato

Post subject: Dr. Terry Kim ruined my eyes and Eye Pain's
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:22 am 

Just so that everyone is clear, Eye Pain and I both had a disastrous LASIK outcome by the same surgeon, LASIK surgeon Dr. Terry Kim at Duke University.

LASIK surgeon Dr. Terry Kim, MD was not forthcoming, kind or helpful after botching either of us, apparently.

As a matter of a fact, LASIK surgeon Dr. Terry Kim, MD kicked me out of his practice while I still had follow up visits I prepaid in my contract. It took a very long time to get the money back for these appointments from Duke. LASIK surgeon Dr. Terry Kim, MD also 'forbade' me from seeing any other Duke Ophthalmologists and 'banned' me from the Eye Center and the LASIK clinic. Apparently having the patients you screwed up recently in the waiting room is bad for business.

Some day I'll have to get around to scanning some of LASIK surgeon Dr. Kim MD's letters and e-mail comments along with images of my grossly mismatched pupil and optical zone sizes.

There is a blogger out there eager to blog this material. LASIK surgeon Dr. Kim, MD measured the pupil in my right eye at 7.5mm, and on my operative report he PLANNED a surgery that would create an optical zone only 5.5mm wide.

That's a 2mm PLANNED pupil size/optical zone mismatch and pretty much a guarantee of screwed up vision in dim light for life.

Sometimes I wonder if LASIK surgeon Dr. Terry Kim, MD was EVER required to take an optics course at any point in his training? Surely he must know that untreated and undertreated areas of the cornea within the diameter of the full pupil size allow unfocused rays of light to enter the eye, resulting in a degraded retinal image.

LASIK surgeon Dr. Terry Kim, MD also should have known about the FDA warning that dry eye after LASIK can be permanent. He should also know that dry eye is painful. What kind of doctor performs an elective surgery that results in persistent dry eye for a fairly high percentage of patients?

Some patients are disabled by post-LASIK dry eye and eye pain.