Exposing the LASIK Scam

One Surgeon at a Time
It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:13 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Flap wrinkles can be removed a while after.... right?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:30 am 

Quote:
My day vision is also a problem because I have set-in flap wrinkles that Dr. Terry Kim failed to address in a timely fashion, and dry eye affect my vision.
I thought that there are ways to eliminate flap wrinkles that have been there for a while. I know that these methods are less effective and involve sutures and corneal massages, but something is available. I certainly hope this is true because I am going to be researching this in the next month in order to propose a plan of action to my new surgeon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:16 am 

Almost everybody I know with a refractive error of -6.00 or greater had a refractive imbalance of 0.5 or greater after the initial surgery. Most are satisfied with their results. A few are offered enhancements and but all will take it up.

It really sounds like anxiety to me which was induced by unrealistic expectations. If you are a perfectionist, then you were probably a very bad candidate for refractive surgery in the first place. It is possible that your far-sighted eye may regress to more normal figure within the next year. However, I would think very carefully whether you should go for an enhancement if you were offerred. Personally I do not consider +0.5 as much as a problem as -0.5D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:40 am 

Well I thought that some people might relate my complaints to anxiety, but I have to say that I really don't think that is it. I also am experiencing some nausea after this which I did not expect. Although, day by day, it is becoming a little bit more tolerable. However, day by day I am learning to deal with my new vision. SH** HAPPENS and I have to deal with the consequences on stuff like this. I have definitely learned my lesson though with this and trust me, no matter what anyone tells me, I am not getting an enhancement. I can definitely tell that after the surgery, you lose a little contrast in your vision. I don't want to lose any more. I will give my eyes a couple of more weeks to stabilize and then I will see about some corrective lenses to maybe tighten things up with my Left eye. I am about 6 weeks out now for my R eye and it is still doing fine. Thank you for your input and advice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:51 am 
 E-mail  Profile

zadaw wrote:
. Personally I do not consider +0.5 as much as a problem as -0.5D

I have to strongly disagree with you. It is far more distressing for a myope to be overcorrected, than it is for them to be undercorrected. THe visual symptoms of overcorrection can be quite distressing, and waiting for regression is at best unpredictable.

Myopes are accustomed to being able to see close up, and the acute loss of close up vision in an eye can be overwhelming. THe natural lens, if it is not presbyopic, will try to accomodate for the visual stress, but the person may not be without symptoms.. If this patient had ended up -0.5 in his left eye, he would have simply been much less dependent on glasses, but his visual axis would not likely feel anywhere near as distressed as it now does.

I suspect you statement relates to your belief that this patient will end up closer to plano over time than if he had been mildly undercorrected. That could indeed be true, but one needs to appreciate that ending up up plano in this case means that one has maximized their distance vision at the expense of sacrificing near vision myopic benefits. All myopes should be concerned about preserving near vision as they deal with encroaching presbyopia.

Bottom line: Expect a myope to be far more distressed at being overcorrected than undercorrected. Even small amounts of overcorrection can prove distressing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:41 pm 

ThisIsNotMedicine wrote:
It is far more distressing for a myope to be overcorrected, than it is for them to be undercorrected.

I totally agree.

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:06 pm 

After my first lasik procedure. I had +0.5 and -0.5 in the other, I preferred the eye with +0.5 and this was personal perference.

Post subject: How old are you zadaw?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:37 pm 

Zadaw, I am willing to BET you are under 45 years of age...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:43 pm 

LasikBS said:

Quote:
I thought that there are ways to eliminate flap wrinkles that have been there for a while. I know that these methods are less effective and involve sutures and corneal massages, but something is available. I certainly hope this is true because I am going to be researching this in the next month in order to propose a plan of action to my new surgeon.

The problem with set-in flap wrinkles is that the epithelial cells tend to hold them in place. The best time to smooth out flap wrinkles is when they are first formed. Some techniques call for removing the epithelium -stretching, suturing, massages... are all reported. I don't think there is a 'flap wrinkle expert' out there or any consensus as to the best method to remove flap wrinkles.

What is known is that higher myopic corrections and thinner flaps are associated with flap wrinkles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:56 am 

Yes, that was true though not much younger

Post subject: Post-LASIK nausea happens!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:20 pm 

junecat said:
Quote:
I also am experiencing some nausea after this which I did not expect.

I had nausea and vertigo after LASIK as well, and have known of patients for whom this was chronic after LASIK. Most people get past it - still, this information should be part of informed consent. If medical doctors are unaware of common complications of LASIK, something is very wrong in the corneal refractive surgery informed consent process.

How is the layman expected to provide informed consent for these surgeries if physicians are ending up with complications they never anticipated?

P.S. to zadaw... I bet that in a couple of years you would be telling us you'd prefer to be slightly undercorrected. Also it's hard to say which eye you prefer when you have an undercorrected eye 'available'. I am more nearsighted in one eye and this is the reason I can read anything at all without glasses - although without glasses my vision is blurry at all distances due to INDUCED ASTIGMATISM. I will admit with full correction for my sphere and cylinder I notice the distortions from flap wrinkles and HOAs more.

Post subject: Bad LASIK at Duke performed by Dr. Terry Kim - another story
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:48 am 

I am 13 months post-LASIK and I am 20/20 in both eyes. Certainly things can be worse. However, I also know that in the last 13 months I have experienced frequent, chronic pain that is worse than any pain that I could have every imagined. My quality of life since LASIK has been terrible. I estimate that I am able to do about 15% of the things I used to do prior to LASIK due to the pain with my eyes/face/head. Of course, the few things that I still can do, I now have to do with chronic pain so thus I am left with a very poor quality of life.

I have many times tried to ignore the pain and live life like I used to, but this doesn't work since I must contend with constant pain sensations going through my eyes, cheek- bones, upper tooth region, temporal region, head, and occipital region of the neck. Sometimes only my eyes and cheeks hurt. Sometimes its my eyes/temporal region/head/neck. The one constant is my eyes. Some LASIK MD's that I have seen look at me puzzled. Perhaps they are truly clueless or perhaps they are in denial or perhaps their ego is too great to allow themselves to think that LASIK ruins lives. One thing is for certain. I almost never had headaches prior to LASIK. I absolutely never had face pain and my eyes never gave me a problem.

Early in my post-LASIK experience I thought that I must have had the most excruciating dry eye pain that ever existed. Now that my dry eye has improved to a certain degree, I have learned that dry eye is a secondary problem for me. My primary post-LASIK complication is a form of corneal neuroma that results in the chronic neuralgia pain that I experience.

Both the dry eyes and neuroma are nerve damage related. However, the neuralgia pain does not respond to dry eye treatments. I am now on two pain medications for my neuralgia pain and I wear moisture chamber goggles for 80% of my waking hours for my dry eye syndrome.

Prior to LASIK, I was a very active and happy individual who did lots of things with my family. I used to look forward to life. Now, the most I can look forward to are moments where the chronic pain is not so intense. I have in essence missed the last year of my children's lives due to the limitations brought upon by the post-LASIK chronic pain. I will add that my threshold for pain tolerance has always been high. I played football, basketball, and baseball throughout my school years and always played through injuries.

If a LASIK MD tries to tell me that I am just one of those "sensitive" LASIK patients, then he may want to prepare himself for one of my old "decleater" football tackles so that he can understand just how "sensitive" I can be. :shock:

Post subject: Bad LASIK at Duke performed by Dr. Terry Kim - another story
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:02 pm 

Quote:
If a LASIK MD tries to tell me that I am just one of those "sensitive" LASIK patients, then he may want to prepare himself for one of my old "decleater" football tackles so that he can understand just how "sensitive" I can be.

Let us know when you get the urge to tackle a surgeon and we'll sell tickets - there are certainly 'cheerleaders' on this forum who would cheer on THAT tackle! And other angry and frustrated patients who have had similar urges...

Post subject: Just an Update
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:14 pm 

It has been about 6 weeks post-op now on my Left eye. I went back today to my physician for a visit. He told me that I have regressed to where my vision is 20/25 although things still appear to be farsighted. He used some sort of marker that left some drops in my eyes that turned the eye yellow and I think that they caused a pupillary constriction which did improve the vision somewhat. I do have some laser induced astigmatism and I told him of the debilitating effects that my eyes were causing me (vertigo, nausea, dizziness, fatigue etc.) and he told me that the vertigo is not caused by the eyes, it is caused by the inner ear, as if I didn't know that. I am a physician too and I know that my eyes are the problem. I still can not see things up close as they appear to be more faint and smaller than the Right eye. Right eye as of now still doing good. Anyways he did do the "Is 1 better or 2?" to me and my vision in my left eye was able to be corrected with some different lenses which I think means that I still may have a chance at my Best Correctable Vision with lenses. Although my doctor did not think that I needed anything right now as far contact lenses or glasses and put me on the FLAREX drops 1 every other day and said that it sometimes takes 4 months for the eye to completely heal. Well I have to say that after today, my patience has run out and I am scheduling to get a second opinion. I want to get some visual acuity numbers from another doctor and share them so that I can get the best advice for me. I still feel the same about LASEK and have really been trying to encourage people that have asked me about it to consider what they are doing. I have been pretty convincing with my story to say the least. Anyways, will continue to update on my condition.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:41 am 

I cannot stress going to an ophthalmologist that does not do lasik in order to get your refraction (or any information regarding your situation). They will lie to you to protect their friends in the field. Trust me, I know from PERSONAL experience, the fact that you are a doctor, does not mean squat to them. My former surgeon, Joseph P. Kiernan of Premier Eye Care and Surgery has mentioned that many doctors have had lasik at his office. Do you think any of them received the truth? You can learn the hard way, as I did, or, you can contact people on this site to find ophthalmologists that are not allergic to the truth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:46 am 

junekat, I thought you might be interested in this...

Optom Vis Sci. 2007 Jul;84(7):605-10.

LASEK Versus LASIK for the Correction of Moderate Myopia.

Teus MA, DE Benito-Llopis L, S?nchez-Pina JM.
Vissum Madrid (MAT, LdB-L, JMS-P), and Department of Opthamology, Universidad de Alcal?, Madrid, Spain (MAT).

PURPOSE.: To compare the results of laser subepithelial keratomileusis (LASEK) and laser in situ keratomileusis (LASIK) for the correction of moderate myopia.

METHODS.: We performed a retrospective, single-masked, interventional study of 80 consecutive eyes. Forty eyes that had undergone LASEK to correct myopia of -2.0 to -6.0 D were compared with age and refraction matched patients treated with LASIK. All eyes had been operated by the same experienced surgeon using the same laser (Technolas 217). Mitomycin C was not used in any patient.

RESULTS.: Eighty eyes were reviewed (40 treated with LASEK, 40 treated with LASIK). The preoperative mean sphere was -3.8 D (range -2 to -6D) and mean cylinder was -0.7 D (range 0 to -2 D) in both groups. Postoperative uncorrected visual acuity was worse in LASEK eyes 1 and 7 days postoperatively (p = 0.0001), although the difference 7 days postoperatively (<one letter) was not clinically meaningful. No significant differences were noted 3 months postoperatively either in the uncorrected visual acuity, in the best-spectacle corrected visual acuity, or in the residual refractive error. Nine LASEK-treated eyes showed a postoperative refraction of +1 D or more. These cases had a higher preoperative sphere (-4.5 D) compared with the nonovercorrected LASEK-treated eyes (-3.5 D) (p = 0.03). One eye after LASEK and four eyes after LASIK needed retreatment (p > 0.05).

CONCLUSIONS.: LASEK and LASIK seem to be similar in terms of safety and efficacy for the correction of moderate myopia. Nevertheless, a trend toward overcorrection was found in the LASEK group in correlation with a higher preoperative refractive error.

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato