Exposing the LASIK Scam

One Surgeon at a Time
It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:54 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Future Generations of Lasers / Ativan / Artemis Scans
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:38 am 
 E-mail  Profile

I was wondering if anyone knew why the FDA only approved lasers only up to 6.5 mm?
This really makes me wonder why they could only approve them to a certain degree. This is really devastating to me to consider any surgeon who would have actually had placed the correct optical zone treatment on my 8 mm pupils would have been doing my surgery "off label."
Will the FDA every approve larger optical zones? Will larger optical zones be equally risky or more so than smaller optical zones?

Also, does anyone know where I could get an Artemis scan in the Philadelphia, PA area? I really would like to get one soon. If anyone knows the approximate cost of this scan and any other information it would be appreciated. I am currently trying to research this myself but sometimes all lasik related issues are insane. Also, what makes so valuable in a patient has thick corneas? Are the results of a Artemis scan something than can be actively applied to a refractive surgery? What I am trying to ask is if anything can be done with the results of the scan if a patient has thick corneas all around.

I also wanted to try Ativan. But the possibility of taking another medicine for as a result of lasik makes me sick. I know I would really ask my family doctor for this but I trust you all so much you all can relate so much more as to what I am going through. At this point in my life, I am very capable of being addicted to something since I am so depressed and anxious. I was wondering if anyone else is similar to me in this sense and has still had success with Ativan.

I am really sorry again. I know I post on thelasikflap a lot with a lot of similar questions. But next time I see my lasik surgeon I want to be armed with all of the right information and make no more mistakes when I discuss the future of my eyesight with him.

Post subject: Re: Future Generations of Lasers / Ativan / Artems Scans
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:50 pm 

APizzo667 wrote:
I was wondering if anyone knew why the FDA only approved lasers only up to 6.5 mm?
This really makes me wonder why they could only approve them to a certain degree. This is really devastating to me to consider any surgeon who would have actually had placed the correct optical zone treatment on my 8 mm pupils would have been doing my surgery "off label."
Will the FDA every approve larger optical zones? Will larger optical zones be equally risky or more so than smaller optical zones?

The reason optical zones generally don't go wider than 6.5 is because wider treatments take off too much cornea, placing the patient at risk of ectasia. Like me, you should have never had LASIK, period. Your pupils are too large.

The LASIK Report discusses this issue in more detail. You really should read it if you haven't already.

Don't hesitate to ask questions. I'd much rather you get straight answers here than BS answers elsewhere.

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato

Post subject: Artemis scans a good idea for damaged LASIK patients
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:38 pm 

Quote:
Are the results of a Artemis scan something than can be actively applied to a refractive surgery? What I am trying to ask is if anything can be done with the results of the scan if a patient has thick corneas all around.

The issue is not so much the total thickness of your cornea after LASIK, but how much of that is tissue under the flap, and whether your flaps are of even thickness. Microkeratomes are notoriously unreliable in creating a consistent flap thickness... the thickness can vary a great deal. Unless your surgeon performed intraoperative pachemetry, which should always be performed, but SELDOM is, you have no idea how thick your flaps happened to turn out and how much of your total corneal thickness is residual stromal thickness supporting your intraocular pressure.

Not enough tissue = bulging = regression, possible ectasia.

This is why you need an Artemis. An artemis scan can tell you, in a non-invasive manner, how thick your flaps are, how much tissue you have remaining in your stromal bed, and whether your flap has thin areas.

With this information, your doctor will know how deeply a surface treatment could 'safely' be applied. I use the term 'safely' loosely, because every form of refractive surgery compromises visual health and quality.

An artemis scan will also show flap undulations, which are universal in LASIK patients and cannot possibly be a 'good thing' in terms of visual quality.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:17 am 
 E-mail  Profile

I just heard that my lasik surgeon's office was purchased by TLC laser centers. This should make things much more interesting!

Post subject: Re: Future Generations of Lasers / Ativan / Artemis Scans
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:27 pm 

APizzo667 wrote:
Will larger optical zones be equally risky or more so than smaller optical zones?

larger optical zone = larger flap
larger optical zone = more tissue loss
larger optical zone = more nerve damage
larger optical zone = more corneal strength loss
larger optical zone = more dry eye prompt

For post-op patients, it helps to know whether their flaps are large enough for optical zone enlargement.

Last edited by surgieyes on Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:31 am 
 E-mail  Profile

http://www.crstoday.com/PDF%20Articles/ ... 6_supp.pdf

And I quote...

"...a study in young naval pilots that concluded
that night vision problems are unrelated to the pupil?s size...if the effective treatmentzone is less than 6.5mm, patients with large pupils
do not experience night vision problems
as long as the
ablation references the wavefront and the zone is at least
6.5mm. The WaveLight ALLEGRETTOWAVE excimer laser
(WaveLight, Inc.) features both wavefront-guided and
Wavefront Optimized technologies and also delivers a 6.5-
mm treatment zone to further prevent unwanted visual
symptoms"...Stephen F. Brint, MD, is Associate Clinical Professor of
Ophthalmology at Tulane University School of Medicine in
New Orleans. He is an ambassador for WaveLight, Inc., and
receives travel expenses from the company

How do people get away with this? This is unbelievable to me. How could a doctor write that and believe it? Shocking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:51 pm 

The reference is a 1991 article about radial keratotomy. What are they calling a large pupil, 7mm?

Holladay JT, Lynn MJ, Waring GO 3rd, et al. The relationship of visual acuity, refractive error, and pupil size after radial keratotomy. Arch Ophthalmol. 1991;109:1:70-76.

Read this excerpt from the FDA transcript of the first wavefront LASIK trials submitted for approval:

FDA Ophthalmic Devices Panel meeting
August, 2002
Dr. George Pettit is speaking on behalf of ALCON for approval of it's wavefront guided platform.

http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/ac/02/ ... 3883t1.doc

Quote:
Just to follow up a little bit on an earlier question. This is George Pettit from Alcon. I think Dr. Matoba asked the question about the pupil sizes and were the patients informed. Given this high-level expectation, it's important to note that the optical zone was 6.5mm and we informed all patients considering being in the trial that if their natural pupil was larger than 6.5mm, even with this new technology, there was a potential risk for them to have night vision symptoms. So we tried to bring their expectations more in line.

Anyone who says pupil size doesn't matter is dumber than a box of rocks.

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato