Exposing the LASIK Scam

One Surgeon at a Time
It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:54 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Undercorrective
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:59 pm 

It has been a week today since my surgery..........I know not long but enough time to make me realize contacts and eyeglasses were far better than this and it makes me sick and sad to think about it- between the $$, the high expectations, and the "great talk" about it, it can throw a person into a sadness or anger. I am 28 yrs old and this was suppose to be life changing to a degree. My left eye is good but right eye- it feels like I am straining it to adjust to my left and to do that all day and night that I am up is so irriating and annoying.

Has anyone else had one eye turn out great and the other not good? TLC keeps saying its healing- I think it was undercorrected

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:28 am 

Hi Michelle,

TLC must be doing a refraction at your post-op visits. Have they told you what your refraction is? That's how you'll know if your problem is undercorrection. If you're not good at understanding what the refraction means, post the numbers here and I'll help you interpret.

I had a terrible outcome in both eyes from day one in low light due to my enormous pupils and small optical zone, but in bright light I had one eye with good acuity (20/20 originally) and one eye that was blurry (20/25 originally). The LASIK clinic did not tell me for weeks that it was induced astigmatism causing the blurry vision in one eye, even though they noted it in my chart. As soon as they told me about the astigmatism I went right out and got some glasses.

I later regressed back to myopia with astigmatism in both eyes. LASIK was a total disaster for me. It didn't deliver on the hype to rid me of glasses and contacts, it worsened my pre-existing dry eye (my eyes have burned incessantly for 5 1/2 years since LASIK), it caused a huge curtain-like floater in one eye, and it destroyed my vision in dim light.

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato

Post subject: Far too early to despair!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:05 pm 

Hi Michelle.

Sorry you had to find out after the fact that LASIK doesn't deliver very well on its promises. You do need to get at the root cause of blurry vision in your right eye. BrokenEye's suggestion to go get your current refraction (glasses prescription) is the first step.

Some people return for more eye surgery if they are undercorrected, but each surgery has risks!

It can take a while for your brain to adapt to changes in your visual system. Many people find that over time they no longer notice visual disturbances that they experienced initially.

I believe that every patient loses in the LASIK lottery - but it sounds like your losses are minor. Like BrokenEyes and so many others, my vision is terrible!

Never feel ashamed or embarrassed by your decision to have LASIK surgery, or about your outcome. Keep in mind that you can help others avoid refractive surgery remorse by being vocal about your dissatisfaction with the procedure.

In the meantime, get some glasses if you have correctable sphere (nearsightedness likely in your case) or cylinder (astigmatism) and let us know if this helps!

Post subject: Michelle, you'll get the full truth here
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:44 pm 

Michelle,

Whatever your current situation is... whether it be a simple undercorrection or something more difficult to remedy we'll help you find the basis of your problem and help you ensure that it is properly documented so that you can arrive at the most informed decision for further treatment - whether it be via special contact lenses, regular glasses or more surgery (something we don't usually suggest except under extreme circumstances). We like the Kathy Griffin motto... " LASIK = bad". We've extended that to "Refractive surgery = bad".

Michelle, when you have corneal refractive surgey of any type, your cornea is made thinner because tissue is vaporized away with a laser. There is no regeneration of this tissue.

Dr. Charles Casebeer, one of the founders of LASIK has testified in a deposition that all LASIK patient's eyes are bulging. Sometimes patients go for retreatments for regression. The regression could be due to increased bulging of the cornea, so removing more tissue and making the cornea even thinner sounds like the WORST course of action to treat regression unless you have demonstrated via artemis scan that the regression is caused by epithelial thickening and not forward bulging of the eye.

What was your pre-op prescription? What was your scotopic (dark-adapted) pupil size? What laser was used for your treatment? Did you get a full copy of you charts from TLC, which is your right? Ask for scans in COLOR, please. They're pretty useless in black and white. You should keep a copy of all these records at home. When you go to see any other doctor for any kind of eye exam keep everything together in your home 'eye chart'. This chart will serve you well as it will enable you to track changes in your eyes even if you visit multiple doctors.

We hope you stay and post here, and learn about your eyes and what makes you feel and see better.

All my best!

Post subject: Best of luck
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:14 am 

Michelle,
I was miserable for about 3 months after surgery but I think my brain may be getting used to the damage about now. For a while it seemed like I only saw what the bad eye was seeing but now my dominant eye is seeing stuff at a distance. If I could go back in time, I would not do Lasik again because I still have double vision and bad night vision. But hopefully, you will feel better in a few months. Maybe enhance ment will help, if we dare...

Post subject: Hi Michelle and Jons
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:21 am 

Any new information about the source of your blurry vision (Michelle)
and your double vision and bad night vision (Jons)? Any further improvement?

We'd love to hear the results of a current refraction and wavescan. If you're considering a retreatment it's really important to know how much tissue you have left under your flap (if it was LASIK that you had) or in general how thick your cornas are now (if you had a surface treatment).

The only way to reliably measure the thickness of all the layers of your eye is with an Artemis scan. An artemis scan is a corneal ultrasound and measures the various layers of your eye with a one micron accuracy.

Good luck!

Post subject: For Eye
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:19 pm 

Eye,
I went back for a checkup today and was put back on steroids for inflamation. Apparently my prescription hasn't stabilized yet so even though it's close to 4 months, I can't get an enhancement for at least another two months.
Starbursting and glare are as bad as the first month. No improvement at all. I am wearing glasses to play sports but now the glare problem is worse through lenses than before surgery. Lasik has been a major dissapointment for me because I only did it for sports.
What scares me the most is the fact that the starbursting is just as bad in both eyes and even when I'm wearing corrective lenses.

Post subject: Re: For Eye
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:01 pm 

jons wrote:
Eye,
I went back for a checkup today and was put back on steroids for inflamation. Apparently my prescription hasn't stabilized yet so even though it's close to 4 months, I can't get an enhancement for at least another two months.
Starbursting and glare are as bad as the first month. No improvement at all. I am wearing glasses to play sports but now the glare problem is worse through lenses than before surgery. Lasik has been a major dissapointment for me because I only did it for sports.
What scares me the most is the fact that the starbursting is just as bad in both eyes and even when I'm wearing corrective lenses.

jons,

You mentioned inflammation. Do you have DLK? I was told I had inflammation in one eye, put on steriods, and have permanent scarring (haze) as a result. It was DLK, but my surgeon never told me that. They downplayed it.

Before you consider an enhancement, be sure you know what your residual stromal thickness is under the flap. Unfortunately, due to microkeratome inaccuracy, the only way to know for sure is to have an Artemis scan done, and they are few and far between. But it's really important.

Starbursts and halos are usually caused by an effective optical zone that is too small for your pupils in dim light. Three questions -- what was your pre-op refractive error, what size optical zone (not total ablation zone) was used for your surgery, and what is your dark-adapted pupil size?

I'm in the same boat as you. I've suffered from horrible night vision disturbances since my surgery 5 1/2 years ago due to having 8 mm pupils and a 6 mm optical zone (the effective optical zone is even smaller). I wear glasses or contacts, but they only get me from point A to point B. They do nothing for the visual disturbances.

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato

Post subject: Maybe a 2nd opinion
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:47 pm 

Hi Jons,

Perhaps you could consider going to a 2nd opinion doctor about your visual disturbances. Don't tell your 2nd opinion doc who your original surgeon was. Consider telling him a little white lie that you had your surgery done in Canada to save money.

If you can get an appointment really soon ask if you have signs of DLK and/or haze.

Ask if you have visible striae (wrinkles) in your flap.

Ask for a good pupil measurement... you should be in a very dark room and the only light used to aid the doctor or technician should be a small pen sized flashlight.

Make sure your 2nd opinion doc writes everything down in your chart and that you take copies with you when you leave. Ask for color copies of your wavescans and topographies.

Find your operative report in your chart from your surgeon. What laser was used? Your optical report should specify your optical zone size. Your topographies will show your 'efffective optical zone size', that is the size your optical zone ended up - typically it is ultimately smaller than the plannned optical zone.

Now compare your scotopic (dark-adapted) pupil size to your effective optical zone size from your topography. How much mismatch do you have?

You may also want to check your post-op higher order aberrations on your wavescan reports!

Even patients with smaller pupils can wind up with some very bad vision due to induced higher order aberrations... such as coma and trefoil.

Post subject: Michelle, are you still around this board?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:22 am 

Michelle,

Are you still lurking around these boards? Your story is identical to mine. I think we may have even gone to the same place?

This post is almost a year old, just curious how yours turned out?