Exposing the LASIK Scam

One Surgeon at a Time
It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:51 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Intralase flaps
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:04 pm 

J Cataract Refract Surg. 2004 Jan;30(1):26-32.

Flap dimensions created with the IntraLase FS laser.

Binder PS.

Gordon Binder Vision Institute, San Diego, CA 92122, USA. garrett@aol.com

PURPOSE: To assess the safety and predictability of the IntraLase femtosecond laser to create accurate flap thickness and diameter.

SETTING: Clinical office-based practice.

METHODS: In the first 103 eyes in which flaps were created with the IntraLase laser, the flap thickness was measured by the ultrasonic difference between the preoperative and post-flap-creation central corneal thickness and the flap diameter was measured with calipers.

RESULTS: As the attempted flap thickness decreased from 140.0 microm to 110.0 microm in 10.0 microm increments, the mean flap thickness decreased from 132.5 microm to 125.0 microm, with standard deviations decreasing from +/-18.5 to +/-12.0 microm. The mean flap diameter differed from the attempted diameter by less than 0.03 microm in all but the 130.0 microm group. Two slipped flaps and 20 cases of interface inflammation occurred early in the series.

CONCLUSIONS: The IntraLase laser, while adding technical complexity to the laser in situ keratomileusis procedure, is able to predictably create flap diameters, hinge location, and flap thickness while eliminating the risk for cap perforations. The technique of flap elevation affects rapidity of visual recovery.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:12 pm 

After 7 months Intralase post op and still considerable irritation and horrible light scatter, I can not agree with the term healing rapidity. Nothing about my results were predicted. If I had a clue prior surgery about the real outcome, I would have never done it and definitely could not recommend Intralase to anyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:50 pm 

jons wrote:
After 7 months Intralase post op and still considerable irritation and horrible light scatter, I can not agree with the term healing rapidity.

jons,

The way I understand the abstract, they are saying that Intralase flaps heal slower than blade flaps. "Affects rapidity", meaning the technique is causing a delay in the healing time.

Intralase flaps are not clean cuts like blade flaps. The laser creates a layer of bubbles across the cornea, then the surgeon has to rip the flap up. I think it was Brent who used the analogy that it's like ripping a postage stamp at the perforation.

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:18 am 

More from another peer-reviewed journal article discussing Intralase flaps:

First Clinical Results With the Femtosecond Neodynium-glass Laser in Refractive Surgery

Journal of Refractive Surgery Vol. 19 No. 2 March/April 2003

Imola Ratkay-Traub, MD, PhD; Istvan E. Ferincz, MSc; Tibor Juhasz, PhD; Ron M. Kurtz, MD; Ronald R. Krueger, MD

"This figure suggests that the wound healing process was slower compared to conventional LASIK, and may be explained by difficulties encountered in flap elevation; in a few eyes separation of the flap from the stromal bed was not optimum."

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato