Exposing the LASIK Scam

One Surgeon at a Time
It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:34 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: False and misleading advertising of Intralase?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:49 pm 

There's a local surgeon advertising that Intralase is "safer, more precise, and more predictable" than LASIK performed with a blade.

I poked around on the FDA website to see if there's anything there in the "Safety and Efficacy" documents to substantiate this claim. What I found does not support these claims.

December 1999
http://www.fda.gov/cdrh/pdf/k993153.pdf

December 2000
http://www.fda.gov/cdrh/pdf/k001211.pdf

August 2001
http://www.fda.gov/cdrh/pdf/k002890.pdf

July, 2005
http://www.fda.gov/cdrh/pdf4/K041893.pdf

Basically each subsequent update to the approval order refers back to the previous approval order with regards to the technology and its equivalency to previously approved technologies. In 1999 they compared Intralase to the B&L Hansatome microkeratome and ISL QC2000 (approved in 1989).

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato

Post subject: Boy, I'll say!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:22 am 

That is the same thing they are saying in my area about Intralase. "Safer, more precise and predictable". My butt! 5 months plus postop and still ghosting and double image. I'm still on steroids because this Intralase surgery just doesn't want to heal.

Post subject: Re: Boy, I'll say!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:41 am 

jons wrote:
I'm still on steroids because this Intralase surgery just doesn't want to heal.

jons,

You might already know this, but if not, there are risks associated with long term steriod use. I hope your surgeon informed you of this. And I hope the surgeon is keeping a close eye on your IOP, assuming he knows how to measure it accurately with a LASIK flap -- I would question him about this if I were you.

I hope you are able to come off the steriods soon and things start to improve for you.

Best regards,
BE

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:22 am 

It's now 6 1/2 months post op. The full moon still looks like a pulsating seashell and I'm still on pred Forte. I was told that what I have are Higher order abberations which as far as I can tell, is surgery induced astigmatism where the cornea is now to flat. This explains the light scatter and always feeling like I'm trying to look around something. My prescription still has not stabilised after all this time post Intralase.

Post subject: Hi Jons
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:52 pm 

Having a cornea that's too flat could be your surgeon's way of trying to tell you that you have hyperopic regression, or that your spherical aberration is through the roof.

Could you post your lastest refraction (prescription for glasses from an Optometrist) and also your aberrometry (wavescan) results? We are looking for numbers that correspond to these things:

spherical aberration in right and left eye
coma in left and right eye
trefoil in left and right eye

Total RMS HOA (total higher order aberrations).

We'd also like to know what your wavescan says for sphere (residual myopia or hyperopia) and cylinder (regular astigmatism).

Did you read the post "take the wavefront challenge" on the top of the general discussion section? This post will help you understand your induced higher order aberrations.

Hope you're hangning in there. It can be really hard to wade through all the BS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:16 am 

jons wrote:
It's now 6 1/2 months post op. The full moon still looks like a pulsating seashell and I'm still on pred Forte. I was told that what I have are Higher order abberations which as far as I can tell, is surgery induced astigmatism where the cornea is now to flat. This explains the light scatter and always feeling like I'm trying to look around something. My prescription still has not stabilised after all this time post Intralase.

If you were told you have higher order aberrations (HOAs), what is the Pred Forte for? Light sensitivity? Edema? You can't treat HOAs with Pred Forte. Long-term use of this drug can be harmful. Why are you still on it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:55 am 

I don't know what my current prescription is. It varies every single time that i go in and also seems to vary quite a bit throughout the day. I am still on Pred Forte because she still sees some kind of inflamation although she said it is not DLK. How would I get copies of my wavescan results? They always file this stuff away and don't give me copies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:41 am 
 E-mail  Profile

jons wrote:
It's now 6 1/2 months post op. The full moon still looks like a pulsating seashell and I'm still on pred Forte. .

I very much agree with Broken Eyes' concern. What is your doctor doing? I strongly urge you to seek second opinion, as I am truly concerned that you are being harmed.

Is your intraocular pressure being monitored on the Pred Forte? Patients who are on this drug for more than 10 days require ongoing IOP monitoring because of the very real risk of inducing glaucoma. Tonometry is known to give falsely low IOP readings after LASIK, so other measures to assess glaucoma (like GDx optic nerve fiber analysis) appear indicated. Have you noticed any visual field losses?. Are your visual fields even being assesed?

Check out this info on ophthalmic PredForte http://www.drugs.com/PDR/Pred_Forte_Ophthalmic_Suspension.html

Warnings: Prolonged use of corticosteroids may result in glaucoma with damage to the optic nerve, defects in visual acuity and fields of vision, and in posterior subcapsular cataract formation. Prolonged use may also suppress the host immune response and thus increase the hazard of secondary ocular infections.

Various ocular diseases and long-term use of topical corticosteroids have been known to cause corneal and scleral thinning. Use of topical corticosteroids in the presence of thin corneal or scleral tissue may lead to perforation.

Acute purulent infections of the eye may be masked or activity enhanced by the presence of corticosteroid medication.

If this product is used for 10 days or longer, intraocular pressure should be routinely monitored

BBy taking this medicine for 6.5 months you are putting yourself at an increased risk for irreversible blindness due to glaucoma. Has your doctor told you this? You need to pin your doctor down regarding what she is treating. If not DLK, then what non infectious situation does she think she is treating. Treating an infectious keratitis with steroids will only worsen the condition.

Also long term topical opthalmic steroids are known to thin the cornea and can lead to corneal perforation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:04 pm 

jons wrote:
I am still on Pred Forte because she still sees some kind of inflamation although she said it is not DLK. How would I get copies of my wavescan results? They always file this stuff away and don't give me copies.

jons,

You have a right to demand copies of anything in your medical records. By law, your surgeon must provide copies of anything you request! You need to be firm with this surgeon.

I ALWAYS request of a copy everytime I have a topography or a wavefront scan. And they NEVER give me a hard time about it because they know that I know my rights. You paid for it, it is yours, and they had better give it to you. (Man, this gets me fired up!)

You need to pin that surgeon down and demand to know why she still has you on PredForte. If there is not a good reason for you to be on it, she could be placing your eyes at risk just because she is clueless about your real problems. I still think your problems are higher order aberrations. Your wavefront scans will tell. Please get them, and request that they be taken at the diameter of your scotopic pupil size.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:54 pm 

Jon, we haven't had an update from you for awhile. I was thinking of you yesterday as I was reading an article about interface fluid post-LASIK. Interface fluid which has a hazy appearance upon slit lamp exam is often misdiagnosed, and steriods make it worse instead of better.

If you check in, please let us know how you are doing.