One Surgeon at a Time
It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:01 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: VISX CustomVue w/Intralase outcome reported to FDA
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:07 pm 

From the FDA adverse events reporting database:

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/c ... _ID=697992

Quote:
I had visx customvue lasik with intralase in 2005. I was convinced, by a dr that i had been seeing for more than ten years, to have the surgery during a routine examination. I had been struggling with contact lenses due to my high astigmatism for years so lasik seemed like the perfect solution. I had heard so many good things about the surgery and i never imagined that my dr would mislead me. My mainifest refraction was: od -0. 25 -4. 25 x 95, os -0. 75 - 3. 25 x70. My vavescan refraction was: od +0. 3. 2 -3. 80 x 98, os -0. 52 -3. 25 x 71. My pupils were measured at 8. 3 mm twice before surgery. I was told that i was a good candidate. I do not feel that the procedure should be approved for a pt with very large pupils and such a high prescription. The computer recorded this info before treatment, however, my physician appearently felt that i was an "excellent candiate. " aside from being a bad candidate i also developed micro striae in both of my flaps which may have been caused by inflammation from the intralase laser. These folds were kept hidden from me despite my constant complaints of ghost imaging and glare. I eventually got a second opinion and underwent flap suturing with another surgeon which made my striae -and symptoms- much worse. At this point my acuity is correctable to 20/20 with glasses but my vision in low light is terrible. I also have severe dry eye after seven months which causes constant burning and discomfort.

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato

Post subject: another great article
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:39 am 

Its sad you cant trust those greedy doctors and lasik surgeons! He should have kept his glasses/contacts.